Friday, February 17, 2012

My friend Katie

One of my biggest concerns in uprooting our family and moving to NYC was community. The reality is we were leaving an INCREDIBLE community in Texas and there was no way to know what we would find in NYC. Can I just say that I have been beyond blessed in this area.

Meet one of my friends Katie. I met Katie becuase my friend Chelsea knew a friend of Katie's. It was a bit of an akward first call...."um  hi....my name is Joyce. I'm new to the city. My friend knows your friend. Do you want to be my friend!" But the voice on the other end was warm and welcoming. So glad I made the call! I've been so thankful for this friendship. For starters, we have boys that are practically the same age (our youngest are within 2 weeks of each other). We live within a few minute walk to each other's house. And we are both pretty new to the city and learning to do this with two small children.

Our friendship was a quick one to develop. From the beginning we started having pretty regular playdates. It's so fun and refreshing to spend time with someone that know exactly what you are living. We discovered new parks together, we went to museums, had playdates at each other's house, and made regular trips to Costco together. Most recently, we've started meeting at the gym two days a week for an early morning work out. That has been awesome! Kid free time, a workout and a buddy to enjoy it with - what a great way to start the day!

What has moved me most about Katie is how selflessly thoughtful she is. For starters, when we'd only known each other a few months, Katie and Kyle loaned us their car to go to the Poconos for our Missional Community retreat. She has kept the kids on more than one occasion for me to go run errands. She's taken the boys and I on fun adventures to new museums and even a children's show! Our regular trips to Costco include Katie picking the boys and I up in her car, usually taking one of the boys with her while shopping (her boys usually don't come with us), and then dropping us back off and facilitating the unloading of the Costco buy. On our most recent Costco trip, I faced quite a dilemma when realizing that morning that our elevator was having work done. Upon arriving from Coscto, with two toddlers and a load of groceries, Katie parked her car, sat with the boys for a few minutes while I put the non refrigerator items in our basement. Then told me to get the boys up while she proceeded to carry up all my groceries up 6 flights of stairs. It took two trips. As I thanked her, her response was, "It's good exercise"!

Really, how in world did I get gifted with such a friend. They beauty of Katie is that I don't even thinks she realizes how much of a blessing she is in those moments. I love love love living life with her. Experiencing this kind of community always reminds me that it's by God's design that we live in deep meaningful friendships characterized by serving one another.

1 comment:

  1. So lovely. We had been praying for Katie. God answered our prayers big time!!

    ReplyDelete